Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ is a popular succulent plant known for its attractive and colorful foliage. It belongs to the family Crassulaceae and is a cultivar of the species Crassula marginalis.
This plant is native to South Africa and is commonly grown as a houseplant or in outdoor gardens in temperate climates. It has small, heart-shaped leaves that are green with pink, cream, and purple variegation.
How to grow and take care of Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’?
Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ is a popular and easy-to-grow succulent plant. Here are some tips on how to grow and care for this plant:
- Light: Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ requires bright, indirect sunlight. It can tolerate some direct sunlight, but too much can burn the leaves. Place the plant near a window that gets plenty of light, but shield it from intense midday sun.
- Soil: The plant requires well-draining soil, such as a mix of potting soil, sand, and perlite. It’s important to use a container with drainage holes to prevent water from pooling in the soil.
- Watering: Water the plant thoroughly and then let the soil dry out completely before watering again. This plant is drought-tolerant and can survive extended periods without water. Overwatering can lead to root rot, so be sure not to water too frequently.
- Temperature and Humidity: Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ prefers warm temperatures between 60°F and 80°F (15°C to 26°C). It can tolerate lower temperatures, but avoid exposing it to temperatures below 50°F (10°C). This plant does not require high humidity levels.
- Fertilizer: You can fertilize the plant once a month during the growing season (spring and summer) with a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer.
- Pruning: Prune the plant to remove any dead or damaged leaves. You can also prune to control the size and shape of the plant.
- Propagation: You can propagate the plant through stem cuttings or leaf cuttings. Allow the cuttings to callus over for a few days before planting in well-draining soil.
With these tips, you should be able to grow and care for your Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ successfully.
What is the lifespan of Crassula marginalis rubra?
Crassula marginalis rubra, also known as the red-edged crassula or the calico kitten plant, is a slow-growing succulent plant that can live for several years with proper care. With good growing conditions and care, it can live up to 10 years or more.
However, the lifespan of the plant can be affected by various factors, such as environmental conditions, disease, and pest infestations. It’s important to provide the plant with the appropriate growing conditions, such as well-draining soil, adequate light, and proper watering, to ensure it thrives and lives for as long as possible.
How to water it?
Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ is a drought-tolerant succulent plant that does not require frequent watering. Here are some tips on how to water it:
- Wait until the soil is dry: Before watering the plant, check the soil by sticking your finger about an inch deep into the soil. If the soil feels dry, it’s time to water. If the soil is still moist, wait a few more days before checking again.
- Water thoroughly: When you water the plant, water it thoroughly until water comes out of the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot. This ensures that the soil is evenly moistened and that excess salts and minerals are flushed out of the soil.
- Allow the soil to dry out: After watering, allow the soil to dry out completely before watering again. Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ is susceptible to root rot, so it’s important not to overwater the plant.
- Water sparingly during the dormant period: During the plant’s dormant period, which occurs in the winter months, the plant requires less water. Water sparingly during this time, allowing the soil to dry out almost completely before watering again.
Remember, overwatering is one of the most common mistakes made when caring for succulent plants, so be sure to avoid this by letting the soil dry out between waterings.
How to prune it?
Pruning Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ is a simple process that helps keep the plant looking neat and healthy. Here’s how to prune it:
- Identify the stems and leaves to prune: Look for any damaged or diseased stems or leaves that need to be removed. Also, look for any stems that are growing too long or are out of shape that you want to trim back.
- Use clean, sharp tools: Use clean, sharp pruning shears or scissors to cut the stems or leaves cleanly. Make sure your tools are clean to prevent the spread of disease.
- Cut at a node: When pruning stems, cut the stem just above a leaf node. This is where new growth will emerge.
- Remove leaves carefully: To remove leaves, hold the base of the leaf with one hand and gently twist the leaf back and forth until it separates from the stem.
- Allow the wounds to dry: After pruning, allow the wounds to dry out for a few days before watering the plant again.
- Dispose of pruned material: Dispose of any pruned material in the trash or compost bin.
Remember, pruning is not always necessary for Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’. However, if the plant is growing too tall or out of shape, pruning can help keep it looking healthy and compact.
How big does the Calico Kitten succulent grow?
Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ is a slow-growing succulent that can reach a height of up to 8 inches (20 cm) and a spread of up to 12 inches (30 cm). However, the size of the plant can vary depending on the growing conditions, such as the amount of light, water, and nutrients it receives.
When grown indoors, the plant tends to stay smaller than when grown outdoors in ideal conditions. With proper care and favorable growing conditions, Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ can grow into a beautiful, compact plant with colorful foliage.
Which soil is the best for growing it?
Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ requires well-draining soil to thrive. The soil should be able to drain excess water quickly, as the plant is susceptible to root rot. Here are some tips on the best soil for growing Calico Kitten:
- Use a well-draining soil mix: A well-draining soil mix that consists of equal parts of potting soil, perlite, and sand or pumice is recommended for growing Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’.
- Avoid heavy soils: Avoid using heavy soils such as garden soil or clay soil, as they tend to hold onto water and can cause root rot.
- Use a container with drainage holes: Make sure the container you use has drainage holes at the bottom to allow excess water to drain out.
- Use a shallow container: Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ has a shallow root system, so a shallow container is recommended. A container that is wider than it is deep will provide enough space for the plant to grow.
- Add fertilizer sparingly: Fertilize the plant sparingly, as excessive fertilization can harm the plant. A balanced fertilizer, such as a 10-10-10 or 14-14-14, can be applied once a month during the growing season.
Remember, it’s important to avoid overwatering the plant, as this can lead to root rot. Using well-draining soil and a container with drainage holes can help prevent this problem.
Where can I buy it?
Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ can be purchased from various sources, including plant nurseries, online plant retailers, and garden centers. Here are a few places where you can buy it:
- Local plant nurseries and garden centers: Check your local plant nurseries and garden centers for Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’. They may have the plant available in-store or be able to order it for you.
- Online plant retailers: Many online plant retailers sell Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’, making it easy to purchase the plant from the comfort of your home. Some popular online plant retailers include Etsy, Amazon, and The Sill.
- Plant swaps and sales: Check with local plant clubs or plant swaps in your area. These events are a great way to meet other plant enthusiasts and may have Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ available for purchase or trade.
Before making a purchase, be sure to research the seller and read reviews from previous customers to ensure that you are buying from a reputable source. Also, make sure that the plant is healthy and free from any signs of pests or disease before bringing it home.
In this post, we discussed the Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ succulent and how to care for it. We covered several topics, including the plant’s watering needs, ideal soil conditions, light requirements, and pruning techniques. We also discussed the plant’s growth habits, potential size, and lifespan. Additionally, we talked about where to purchase the Crassula marginalis rubra ‘Calico Kitten’ succulent. Overall, this chat provided a helpful overview of the care and maintenance required to grow this beautiful and unique succulent successfully.
Have a nice day!