Kalanchoe humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ is a specific cultivar of the Kalanchoe humilis plant, which is a member of the Crassulaceae family. It is a small, slow-growing succulent plant. It typically forms compact rosettes with thick, fleshy leaves that have rounded tips.
The leaves are typically green but can have reddish or purplish tinges, especially when exposed to bright sunlight. The plant can reach a height of about 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) and spread about 4-6 inches (10-15 cm).
How to grow and take care of Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’?
Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ is a succulent plant that is easy to care for and grows well indoors. Here are some tips on how to grow and take care of your Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’:
- Light: Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ prefers bright, indirect sunlight. Place the plant near a window that receives plenty of light but avoid direct sunlight, which can scorch the leaves.
- Water: Allow the soil to dry out between waterings. When watering, thoroughly saturate the soil and allow any excess water to drain out of the pot. Overwatering can lead to root rot, so be sure to avoid keeping the soil too moist.
- Soil: Use a well-draining cactus or succulent soil mix to ensure good drainage.
- Temperature: Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ thrives in temperatures between 60-85°F (15-29°C) and can tolerate cooler temperatures down to 50°F (10°C).
- Humidity: This plant does not require high humidity levels and can tolerate dry air.
- Fertilizer: Use a balanced liquid fertilizer once a month during the growing season (spring and summer). Do not fertilize during the dormant season (fall and winter).
- Pruning: Remove any dead or yellowing leaves as they appear. Pinch back the tips of the plant to promote bushy growth.
- Repotting: Repot your Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ when it outgrows its current container or every two to three years. Choose a pot that is one size larger and fill it with fresh soil.
By following these tips, you can enjoy a healthy and thriving Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ in your home.
What is the lifespan of Kalanchoe Humilis?
Kalanchoe Humilis is a perennial succulent, which means it can live for several years with proper care. In ideal growing conditions, Kalanchoe Humilis can live for up to 5-10 years or even longer. However, the lifespan of the plant can vary depending on various factors such as the quality of care, growing conditions, and genetics.
With proper care and maintenance, Kalanchoe Humilis can live for many years and can continue to provide its beauty to the surroundings.
How to water it?
Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ is a succulent plant that is adapted to arid environments, so it requires less water than many other types of houseplants. Here are some tips on how to water your Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ properly:
- Water the plant deeply but infrequently. Allow the soil to dry out completely between waterings. Stick your finger into the soil up to the first knuckle to determine if it is dry or not. If the soil feels dry, it’s time to water.
- When watering, thoroughly saturate the soil until water drains out of the bottom of the pot. Empty any excess water from the saucer underneath the pot to prevent the roots from sitting in water.
- Water less frequently during the winter months when the plant is dormant.
- Avoid getting water on the leaves or stem of the plant, as this can lead to rot.
- If the leaves start to wilt or turn yellow, it may be a sign of overwatering. Cut back on watering and allow the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
Remember, it’s always better to underwater than overwater succulents like Kalanchoe Humilis. So, always check the soil moisture level before watering and be patient. With proper watering practices, your Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ will thrive and continue to add beauty to your home.
How to prune it?
Pruning Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ is relatively simple, and it’s a great way to keep the plant looking healthy and tidy. Here are some tips on how to prune your Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’:
- Start by inspecting the plant and identifying any dead, damaged, or yellowing leaves. These should be removed as they appear using a pair of clean, sharp scissors or pruning shears.
- If the plant is getting too tall or leggy, you can also pinch back the tips of the stem to promote bushier growth. Use your fingers or pruning shears to pinch off the top inch or two of the stem, just above a leaf node.
- You can also prune Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ to control its size and shape. To do this, use pruning shears to cut back the stems to the desired length, making the cut just above a leaf node.
- Be careful not to remove more than one-third of the plant at a time, as this can shock the plant and slow down its growth.
- After pruning, dispose of any plant material that was removed and clean your tools with rubbing alcohol to prevent the spread of disease.
Pruning your Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ on a regular basis will help it to look its best and stay healthy. Additionally, pruning can also encourage new growth and help the plant to produce more flowers.
How big does Desert Surprise succulent grow?
Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ is a small succulent that typically grows up to 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) in height and 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) in width. However, its size can vary depending on the growing conditions and genetics of the plant.
In its natural habitat, Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ can grow larger, but in indoor environments, it is typically smaller. With proper care, the plant can grow and produce new growth over time, but it’s not a particularly fast-growing plant.
Overall, Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ is a compact succulent that is perfect for small spaces and tabletop displays. Its unique shape and coloration make it a popular choice among succulent enthusiasts.
Which soil is the best for growing it?
Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ requires well-draining soil to thrive. A good soil mix for this plant should be well-draining and provide good aeration for the roots. Here are some tips on choosing the right soil mix for your Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’:
- Use a commercial cactus or succulent potting mix that is specially formulated for plants that need good drainage. You can find these at most garden centers or online.
- You can also make your own soil mix by combining equal parts of sand, perlite, and peat moss or coconut coir.
- If the soil mix is too heavy and doesn’t drain well, you can add more perlite or coarse sand to improve drainage.
- Avoid using garden soil or topsoil, as these can be too dense and can hold too much moisture, leading to root rot.
- When repotting, choose a pot with drainage holes to allow excess water to drain out.
Remember to water your Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ only when the soil is dry, and avoid getting water on the leaves or stem of the plant, as this can lead to rot. With the right soil mix and watering practices, your Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ will thrive and continue to add beauty to your home.
Where can I buy it?
Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ is a popular succulent that can be found in many nurseries and garden centers, as well as online plant retailers. Here are some options for purchasing this plant:
- Local nurseries and garden centers: Check with your local nurseries or garden centers to see if they carry Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ or can order it for you.
- Online plant retailers: There are many online plant retailers that offer a wide selection of succulents, including Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’. Some popular options include The Sill, Succulent Market, and Mountain Crest Gardens.
- Etsy: You can also find Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ on Etsy, which is a marketplace for handmade and vintage items, including plants.
- Local plant swaps and sales: Check with your local plant communities or groups on social media to see if anyone is selling or trading Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’.
When purchasing Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’, make sure to choose a healthy plant with no signs of damage or disease. Additionally, make sure to choose the right size pot and soil mix for your plant to ensure proper drainage and growth.
In this post, we discussed how to grow and care for Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’, a small succulent plant. We covered various aspects of care, such as watering, soil, pruning, and light requirements. We also discussed the lifespan of the plant and its typical size. Finally, we talked about where to buy Kalanchoe Humilis ‘Desert Surprise’ and some options for finding this plant at local nurseries, online plant retailers, and plant swaps.
Have a nice day!